Drilling a hole in the Airstream
I drilled a hole in my Airstream.
Of all the jobs to be done on the Airstream this spring, this one scared me the most. Anticipating it was worse than building new cabinetry, worse than de-greasing the hitch & sanding off the rust, worse than laying inside the front compartment and re-wiring (I’ll tell you about that one later).
The backup camera I installed on the Airstream three years ago has been very useful, but I made a serious mistake when I put it on the rear bumper. That location was easy to reach but far too low.
As a result, car lights and setting sun would create glare, making the camera useless at dusk or at night. I found that I needed the camera much more while towing on the highway, for situational awareness (i.e., what’s happening behind me) than I needed it for actually backing up. So losing the camera’s functionality because of glare was a real annoyance.
Also the low position gave me a great view of the stripes on the highway and the bumper grill of the car behind me, but not of cars further away. Because it’s a “backup camera” the field of vision is very wide, like a fisheye lens, and so the useful distance range isn’t long. To get any sort of overview of the traffic situation it needs to be mounted up above the roof of the average car.
I knew all this after the first season of towing, but I also knew that the only way to get the camera up where it belonged would require drilling a hole in the rear dome of the Airstream. Not a small hole either, but a whopping 5/8″ hole to fit the cable connector through. I have never drilled a hole in the body of the Airstream before. It’s sort of a forbidden thing, in my book, because every hole is a new chance for a leak, a spot that must be maintained with caulk, and something you can never un-do. Remember, I just had to deal with a 3/4″ hole that was drilled in the roof eight years ago for the original cell phone antenna.
At least that hole was up on the top where nobody can see it. This particular hole was going to be right smack in the middle on a very expensive & very visible piece of shaped aluminum, where a virtual waterfall is created every time there’s rain. If I screwed it up, I’d be looking at an ugly patch forever.
This may explain why I put up with the inadequacies of the camera mount for three years.
With all the other projects completed, and perhaps a bit of bravery inspired by their relative success, I had no excuse to avoid this one any longer. The re-routing of the cable was easy: it was already in the bumper compartment, and from there it took only two holes inside the rear compartment to run it up into Emma’s bedroom. A four-foot length of plastic wire chase from the hardware store hid the wire as it ran up Emma’s bedroom wall, and then … I had to face the final cut, right through two layers of aluminum, some fiberglass insulation, and out to the cold, cruel world.
In a previous blog I wrote that you should think several times before putting a hole in the Airstream’s skin. I thought about it for weeks, running through all the possibilities in my head to ensure there was no other way, and that I had a plan for every possible screw-up. I ran a piece of blue tape down the centerline of the trailer from the clearance light to the license plate, measured and measured again, then dusted off the dome, applied several layers of protective tape on the aluminum, and drilled a small “test hole” 3/16″ in diameter. (If this hole had been wrong, it would have been relatively simple to plug it up with caulk.)
It was right on the money, so I continued through larger drill bits, eventually ending up with the monster 5/8″ drill. Emma didn’t make me feel any better about this when the drill poked into her bedroom and she shouted (through the closed window), “Wow, that’s a big hole!”
The camera is now in place, secured by a very high-bond double-sided automotive tape, and sealed with Vulkem 116. I wish I had gray or black Vulkem for this, because the white caulk smears look stupid on the black camera mount, but eventually I’ll get my hands on some and re-do it. In the meantime, it works and the view from the camera is much better.
So I drilled the Airstream, and survived. But I don’t want to do it again anytime soon.