Mobile Internet, part II
OK. I’m sitting here looking at my fingers as I type. I see three small cuts (nicks from sharp aluminum edges), three broken nails, and one knuckle scuff. I have been fighting the mobile Internet installation, and finally won.
When I started on the project Saturday I figured it was a two or three hour job: pull out all the old gear, run a new antenna cable, mount the new antenna, and then install the new gear. No big deal. But every step of the way, I was tested. This was an exercise in beating frustration, which is part of why it took two and a half days to complete.
Nothing would go right the first time. Now, I can admit that some of the trouble was the result of my inexperience with some things, but I’m not a total noob, so there’s a piece I can attribute to some other force: bad karma, juju, luck, biorhythyms, alien influence, whatever. Nothing was as easy as it was supposed to be, and when I realized how things were going to be, I decided I would stick it out even if it took all week.
The big problem was the antenna. The old antenna was something called an NMO Mount, which means that the installer made a 3/4″ hole in the Airstream’s roof that I would have to plug. The new antenna requires a side mount (it was designed for buildings rather than RVs) and so I had a very limited range of places I could put it, unless I wanted to fabricate a custom aluminum bracket. I very nearly did, but then found that the bracket upon which the TV antenna rests made a perfect mount.
[NOTE added 5/14/2013: I'm an idiot. I should have just returned this antenna and done some more looking. Since I went through this nightmare install, I discovered a replacement that would have just screwed right onto the existing NMO mount, avoiding the need to run a new antenna cable and seal up the old hole. I would recommend this antenna to anyone who wants the same 4G performance but with a much lower profile: Laird Phantom.]
This location was ideal: away from metal objects on the roof that might block the signal (such as the solar panel and air conditioner), low enough that the antenna will clear the carport entryway, and right where I can easily inspect it. I had to run the coaxial antenna cable through the base mounts that hold up the front solar panel. That was actually one of the easy problems, solved with the purchase of a 1/2″ drill bit and two rubber grommets.
The simplest path to the electronics cabinet was through the existing 3/4″hole in the roof. I thought I was being clever to use the old antenna wire to pull through the new one, but the old line kept snagging. So I used the old antenna wire to pull through a few feet of slick & smooth plastic vacuum line (left over from the Mercedes 300D renovation), and then used that to pull the new antenna line through–and discovered that the new one wouldn’t quite fit through an internal brace inside the Airstream’s ceiling.
I tried everything to get that wire through, wiggling it, greasing it, pushing it and pulling it, but it just wouldn’t go. I even drilled little holes behind the overhead cabinet to try to locate the problem. By the time I had exhausted every possible approach, the entire overhead cabinet and doors were completely removed along with one of the ceiling mounted JVC speakers, the curtains, one power outlet, a 12 volt outlet, the coaxial cable outlet, part of the white vinyl wall covering, and (just for good measure) the obsolete DVD changer. With the tools burying the dinette table and bits of fiberglass insulation, sawdust, and aluminum shavings everywhere, the Airstream looked like it was still on the assembly line.
In the end, there was nothing to do about it. The new antenna cable was just too large to fit through that hidden constriction. After sleeping on it, and consideration of the idea of relocating the entire electronics cabinet, there was really only one practical solution left. We drilled a fresh hole in the ceiling and ran the wire down the ceiling about four inches to a point where it could disappear again. A plastic wire chase helps minimize the visual impact.
There were many more challenges, but I won’t bore you with the details. Suffice to say that nothing could be taken for granted. Every splice was suspect, every hole was in the wrong place, every trick I tried was confounded, and in the end the job took about eight hours, not counting three stops at the hardware store.
But finally, it works. The picture shows the install. It’s a little cluttered looking in the photo. In reality we have more useful space in the closet than we had before, because I neatened up a lot of the DC wiring and tied up the excess. That little plastic bag at the bottom contains a 12vDC + wire that is leftover from two installations ago and is still hot. I’m keeping it in case I need more power in this cabinet later.
There’s a little more work to be done on the roof. I still have to seal up the rest of the 3/4″ hole from the old antenna, where the new antenna line emerges. I never did find the right caulk locally, so I’ve got a tube on order from an eBay seller.
I’m in the Airstream now, using the new wireless Internet system to write this blog. The reception is fantastic even in the brick carport (router reports -53 dBm). I can’t wait to try it out in a remote place during our next trip east.
Since I started this project, I noticed that Kyle and Kevin both went with similar equipment. Since Kevin is an engineer/publisher who must get online daily when he’s traveling, and Kyle is a full-timer who does Internet consulting, I figure we are in good company. The transition to 4G technology is raising a lot of questions for people, so I may do a seminar at Alumafandango (Oregon, Aug 6-10) on that subject. (By the way, if you’re planning to come to Alumafandango, now’s the time to register. Spaces are filling up quickly!)